Friday 10 March 2017

Advice Column in TOI - Internet says, I’m depressed

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/relationships/ask-the-expert/Internet-says-Im-depressed/articleshow/49382752.cms

Question: I'm a 19-year-old girl, studying and staying with my relatives in another city. For about several months, I felt like a failure, worthless and had suicidal thoughts. I also had a problem concentrating and used to miss my classes, just to stay at home. But I couldn't make anything out of all of this.

However, I recently realized that I have lost interest in my daily activities and do things slower than before. I often find myself sleeping too much as waking up takes a lot of effort. I feel exhausted even after doing nothing much and have no energy left for studying. I don't know what my interests are anymore. I'm lacking self-care and sometimes I just do reckless things.

Sometimes, I feel guilty for many things, which I can't even express. So, I took depression screening tests on multiple websites and the result said that I may have mild to moderate depression. I don't know what I should do next?

I don't want my parents to worry for my mental issues, as they are already in stress about my two failed attempts at CA-CPT. What should I do? - By Anonymous

Answer by Aditi Kulkarni: This does sound alarmingly similar to depression. Unlike the way this term is used in daily conversation, depression is more than just momentary low mood. It is one of the most common mental health conditions and if left untreated can have incapacitating effects on your health and well-being.

I urge you to speak to a psychologist right away! The longer you wait, the more challenging it will get to cope with these symptoms. A psychologist would be able to diagnose whether this is actually depression or a related condition. She/he will also help you understand your state of mind and cope with the difficult feelings.

I understand your hesitation about speaking to your parents, but I do hope you have been talking to someone about this. A supportive network of friends and family has a very positive impact on overall wellness.The sense of worthlessness and guilt are all part of the depressive episode, and I am positive that you will overcome this with the right professional support.



Tiredness, reduced ability to concentrate, neglecting self-care, thoughts about suicide and a sense of failure are classic symptoms of depression. From what you describe, you have been struggling with these symptoms for several months, and they seem to have become more severe over the last one month.




For your safety and of those who care about you, I hope you start therapy immediately. There are numerous online and offline options for therapy now available and I will be happy to help you find a suitable therapist. Depression is completely treatable, but unfortunately most people let it aggravate either due to lack of awareness or reluctance in seeking support. I sincerely hope you find a counsellor or therapist to speak to soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment